So if you haven’t noticed, Millie is obsessed with all things colorful and sweet, and as of late has been inspired by her favorite dessert, cupcakes. That does not however mean that my joy in making cupcake themed things is an obsession, right….right?
Much to my boyfriend’s dismay, I have cranked out another cupcake inspired craft, this time a felt cupcake pouch to go with my cupcake dress! Actually, I didn’t intend to make it for the dress, I just wanted to make something with felt and conveiniently had the right colors for a cupcake and why would I use the nice expensive printed felt on a pouch I totally made up and didn’t know how it would turn out—I’m trying really hard to defend myself—
Moving on, I decided to make an easy tutorial for anyone else who wants a little pouch, (and no, you don’t have to make yours a cupcake). I like this pouch for times when I don’t want to lug around my huge purse, just need my wallet, car keys, and I can be out the door.
This only took me about an hour, but I’m sure its because I had no idea where I was going. Should be less than that 🙂
To start off, the supplies:
3 Different felt colors
Zipper or Velcro
Hot Glue Gun
Be sure to print the template that can be found here: Pouch_Template
- Using the template, cute out 3 Squares of the outside color, 2 squares of the inside color, and 2 pocket colors. If you want rounded edges to your pouch, stack and trim the corners.
- Felt stitch 1 of the outside frosting pockets to an outside color square
- Take one of the outside color squares and cute about 1/4th inch off the top to create a pocket. Sew it onto the third outside color to finish
- Sew across the top of the frosting pocket. Next sew on the button the the outside of the pocket. Cut a button hole on the frosting flap, then stitch around to make the edges smoother.
- Grabbing one of the inside felt squares, sew on the ribbon for a colorful strap
- Looking at my awesome Photoshopped picture, use your hot glue gun glue the outside and inside colors together. Be sure not to glue too close to the edges since we will be sewing them later on
- Do a trim around the inside color if it shows from behind the outside color
- Glue on the zipper or Velcro
- Blanket stitch through all felt layers, but make sure NOT to sew down the sides of the pocket flap!
Pretty simple right?
While my wallet is pretty small, this is also a great size for a coin pouch so change isn’t loudly clacking in my bigger purse. Eventually I want to make one that is a little bigger and has a nice design on it. Now that I know how to make a simple pouch, I guess I can try making a MATURE designed one, get Chris off my case ;P
As of now, I only have 1 more cupcake inspired thing that will be featured 🙂 again made of felt. Felt is so much fun. I hope to finish this project soon. Hope everyone has fun weekends!
Now turned felting addict,